+ January 2014
+ July 2013
+ March 2013
+ July 2012
+ May 2012
+ April 2012
+ June 2011
Search trip reports

Lake District (24th June til 3rd July 2013)

Permanent Linkby rockaroller on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Attendees
Gareth Brown
Alistair McCoy

So the trip started off quite early Monday morning with the boat then leaving 07:30. The jeep was packed the night before and the 3h drive down from Cairnryan to the Lakes began with 9 nights camping awaiting us upon arrival at Low Wray campsite.

The climbing began in the morning with the Raven Crag (second one at Langdale, turns out there is quite a few Raven Crags), There we met loads of climbers who shared their local knowledge of which crags to visit and avoid. It was also quite nice seeing other enthusiastic climbers about even on a Monday morning.
Alistair took the first pitch of the first route of the trip leading Centipede (S) and once we quickly dispatched with that it was my turn and I decided to climb the overhung Revelation (HS) in one pitch where I could certainly feel the rope drag and wondering why I was doing it in one.
After this was Mendes -, 4C, 4A, which then set the pace for the rest of the trip of multi-pitch VS 4c’s.

Now armed with which crags to hit and a feel for the rock we set about our business on the second day with our sights set on The Crack at Gimmer so it was back to Raven Crag for the classic approach up and over Middle-fell Buttress and Curtain Wall to the base of Gimmer and the fun began. What a climb!! Highly recommended to anyone. Once Alistair got to the belay point on the second pitch and a helping hand through the problemactic overhang (as described in the book) a touch of acrophobia seamed to come over him as he looked down. After finishing the route, Alistair abseiled first managing to throw his phone 85m of the cliff face, which didn’t end to well.
In the morning a new phone was ordered from the insurance with Orange and it arrived the following day.

The rest of the holiday went without incident with 7 crags visited, 10 VS Multi-pitches ticked off, 14 climbs including a wee E3+ at Hardnott pass to finish the holiday off. A complete season of Arrow was watched and a BBQ every night with spoon carving taking up a lot of the spare time.

The shops where a big blow to wallets as well with the climbing shops stocking everything right down to ball nuts. Puts our wee Cotswold to shame.

Highlight for me was seeing so many other climbers including a couple of 69 year olds still knocking out the E1s like nobody’s business, gets you motivated.
Alistair’s I am going to say was seconding the Haste knot Traverse (VS) on the second pitch at White Ghyll.

0 Comments Viewed 4104 times